Introduction to my Unit:
My topic under Race and Pop Culture is humor. Humor is an important part of our course because it shows how we, as a society have evolved. It also discusses what could still be offensive to some, and serve as an educational lesson which would lead to a relaxed discussion on race and ethnicity. Questions I plan to cover are:
- Why is it funny?
- What about these comedy pieces do we like or dislike?
- Is there something we find offensive?
- If the research mentioned wasn’t known, then how would we feel about it?
Presentation of course Materials:
This list is (currently) an ever changing list. But so far here are some of the materials I hope to use:
- “Everyone’s a Little Bit Racist” from Avenue Q
- Good Hair starring Chris Rock
- Interviews including Chris Rock
- Scenes from How I met your Mother (Neil Patrick Harris and Wayne Brady are brothers in the show)
These materials will all show snippets of video most likely via Youtube.
After showing a clip of desired pieces, ask “Why is this funny?” Follow up with the research behind the comedy.
I plan to use a powerpoint type of presentation and provide link and citation for all of my resources. I also plan to link the presentation to my blog. This way my classmates will have access to the resources if they wish to look further.
A List of Public events
As far as this goes, I’m not entirely sure which I would like to use. I know that my group and I discussed have a group Twitter chat using a hashtag we came up with: #poprae. We had not talked about doing separate ones. I would like to bring this idea up to my group.